Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Memories

Well, it's the Christmas season.  Since I don't get out much, it's sometimes difficult for me to grasp that it actually is almost Christmas.  Not that I miss the way retail has made this time of year something to dread for many.  I, of course, choose to focus on the birth of our Lord, Jesus and peace, joy and love that are here for our taking.  But I do enjoy thinking about my memories of Christmas' past.

Dad used to go out when I was really little and cut down a nice cedar for our Christmas tree.  One year, he went horseback and chopped it down and drug it in.  I was really little and I think my memory of that is more just from my folks telling me about it than me actually remembering.  But I do have memories of going to North Platte and picking out a tree and bringing it home and decorating!  I loved the lights!  My Mom was a HUGE Christmas decorator.  Everything in her house got changed around for Christmas......and she loved garland.  Silver garland and shiny red Christmas balls everywhere!!

As a little kid, I remember being so excited for Santa to come!  I don't have a lot of memories about gifts that I either wanted or that I received.  I just remember the "feeling" of magic and excitement of getting to open presents and waiting for Santa. We always left a thermos of coffee and usually cookies, but one year, I thought maybe Santa got enough cookies and should have a sandwich.  So I talked Mom into letting me leave that instead.  I think I was about 6 or 7 the year I begged Dad to bring a bale of hay up to the house for the reindeer.  And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't put it up on top of the house and just left it on the west side. 

Music has always been an important part of my life, especially at Christmas time. I have great memories of going caroling when I was a little kid.  My first memories of that are with the Ringgold Church group, who would organize and go around to the local ranches and sing the traditional carols.  My mom was a very talented musician and while she didn't attend church every Sunday, she wouldn't have missed something like that for anything.  It seemed like a lot of people would gather together and load up cars and pickups and convoy to our neighbor's homes.  Afterward, there was always hot chocolate and cookies either at the church or at our place (another thing my mom loved.....baking and entertaining!). 

During my early college years, a local fellow, Jim Gragg, would bring his team of belgians and his wagon into Tryon and a lot of us would gather to go caroling.  That is indeed a great memory.  We had so much fun riding in the wagon and going around town!

As an adult, I'm sorry to say, for many years my Christmas memories are not terribly wonderful or memorable.  I have spent several years fighting snow, trying to get cows fed, missing sitting down with family for Christmas dinner. 

A reasonably new (for me anyway) Christmas tradition is going to the Eclipse Church Christmas Candlelight Service.  I have been attending and singing a song for  8 or 9 years now, I think.  Eclipse is a beautiful little one room, hardwood floor, no electricity, country church in the west end of the county.   Actually, I think technically it is in Hooker county, which is to the north of us...... It is surrounded by giant Sandhills and a tiny old cemetery,  literally out in the middle of nowhere.  One of the most peaceful places I have ever been  in my life.  Matt and I were married at Eclipse, so besides the fact that it is just a very neat place to go, it has a pretty special place in my heart.  Every year, it's a packed house for the candlelight church service and music.  I can't tell you how much I look forward to going every year.

I don't send out Christmas cards anymore and I don't get out to see folks much this time of year.  But I do hold this season as one of the most special times of year.  I know it becomes hectic for many and sad for others too.  This is the time of year I think most of my mom, so I'm sure there are others who find this a difficult time of year for that reason alone.  But I think if we focus our thoughts on what Christmas really is....the birth of Jesus.....and the love of our Savior.  If we think of the peace He can place in our hearts and joy of being with those we love, or those we miss, it can truly be a wonderful time of year.

Merry Christmas, every one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment