Friday, December 30, 2011

The China Cabinet

At the prompting (ok, it was mentioned) of a couple family and friends, I wanted to continue the story of the house and add the story of the china cabinet that is now in the corner of my living room.

Granny Cline was thrifty.  Dad says she was so tight she squeaked.  I can't say I ever actually heard the squeaking, but I remember it was pretty well known that Granny watched her pennies.  But there were a few things Granny thought worth spending a little extra on.  She believed in buying good shoes and I found a beautiful wool coat with a mink collar (not protected from moths) in the attic.  Dad said she was really proud of that coat.  I can see why.  I'm sure it was gorgeous.

But apparently, Granny also believed in dishing out a little extra for a good set of furniture.  Maybe it was something she'd always wanted.  I don't know for sure, but I do remember the matching cherry wood set she had at her house.  There was a lovely dining room set, buffet and china hutch. There may have been other pieces, but I just can't remember for sure.  At any rate, when she passed away in 1978, my grand dad insisted that the set be sold at the estate auction.  I think I know where all the pieces ended up, but I am certain that a lady named Esther Smith bought the china hutch.  Ironically, Esther Smith was Matt's maternal grandmother.

So all of Matt's childhood, he remembered the lovely china hutch in the corner of his grandmother's living room.  It displayed (among other things) his Grandad Fred's pocket watch.  And when Matt's Grandma Esther passed away nearly seven years ago now, there was again an estate auction.  And since it had meaning to both of us, Matt bought it ......for us.  We were not yet married and Matt had a home in town.  The hutch lived there until we moved to our new "house"......Granny Cline's old home.

So now, after many years, the old china hutch is back in it's original home and practically in as good of condition as when it left so long ago.  Funny how things sometime come full circle, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment