Monday, April 25, 2011

Tradition

It's branding time again here in the Sandhills. One of my favorite times of year, without a doubt. A time to see neighbors that we don't get to see very often, enjoy good work and always have good food to go along with it.

As Dad and I were riding to the second bunch at Ed Steele's branding on Saturday, I looked over and saw a father and daughter riding together, much the same as Dad and I were. They were having a conversation about something and it was obvious they were enjoying each other's company. The difference was this father and daughter were maybe 30 and 10 years of age....not 83 and 46. I said to Dad, "maybe if they're lucky, they'll be like us in a few years." Dad just smiled.

I can only hope for that little girl's sake that her dad will be the dad to her that mine has been to me all these years. Dad has been a good friend to me through quite a few bad times. He has taught me more about ranching than I learned in college by a hundred times. And he has taught me about life....mostly by being an example of what a human being is supposed to be like.

Quite a few years ago I wrote a poem that sums up my dad. I'll share it with you.

The Cowman

He looks out across the Sandhills
and scans them for one more
He pulls the slicker round his neck
cause it's really startin' to pour

The rain drips off his near-shapless black hat
that's seen its better days
And he tries again to find that critter
with his hard and knowing gaze

He is a Cowman. One of the best in these here parts.
The cattle and horses in his blood and these hills are in his heart.
He is a kind and gentle man, of that you can certainly bet,
Honesty and integrity....this man's earned his respect.

I'm proud to say this man's my Dad, wouldn't trade him for the world
And I hope I make him half as proud as I am to be his girl.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful poem thanks for sharing. I'll be passing this on to some friends.
    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete