Friday, April 8, 2011

Just Ride

I'm pretty sure it was Will James who said, "the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man." I don't know that it's true for everyone, but it sure is for me.

Back when I was in my 20's and we had 2 1/2 more people helping on the ranch (and I wasn't supposed to be "in charge") that's pretty much all I did during calving, ride the couple of young horses I would have through the heavy cows, twice a day. It's a good way to get colts going good and get them looking at cows and lots of other benefits. But truthfully, I had forgotten what riding a HORSE through the cows did for me...

The last few years, as our help dwindled away and my work load got to be more and more, I used the quickest and easiest thing available to get through the heavies. Usually the pickup since I was already feeding out there with it. Of course, there are places out in the hills where we calve out our cows that you have a pretty tough time getting to with a pickup, so those places just didn't get looked at....and when we gathered last spring to go to summer pasture, I found a cow laying dead in one of those "pockets" that I'd missed. Apparently, she'd had trouble calving and since no one saw her, she just laid there and died. I felt sick about that. Chances are, we could have at least saved her if I'd known she was there. So I vowed this year to make a change.

This year calving season started out with frozen ground and light skiffs of snow several mornings. Slick conditions, especially for a horse that hasn't been ridden since December. So the four-wheeler was my mode of transportation to get through the heavies. It's quick and I can go just about anywhere I can with a horse, so I can see all the pockets. However, I promised myself as soon as the ground conditions improved, I was going to try to ride a horse as much as time would allow.

I have four bunches of heavy cows out in big pastures to look through every day so it still takes up a good share of my time. However, the last couple weeks, although hectic, I have ridden both my mares (Sands A Blowin, aka "Sands", my barrel/ranch horse and Sandcherry Magnolia, aka "Maggie", my 4 year old) almost every day. While I can't do like I used to years ago and ride all day long, I can ride each mare through a bunch of heavies in the afternoon and use the four-wheeler in the mornings.

It has been good for both the mares. They are relaxing and getting legged up nicely....I may even make it to a barrel race in a couple weeks if time allows!! Both girls seem to enjoy getting out and moving around through the hills. But oh, what it has done for my outlook on life!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much better life has become. I feel like I can breathe more deeply and my brain is less cluttered. I have a new outlook on life in general.

"A'horseback" has been home to me most of my life and although I still spend a good share of time riding when we are getting cows out to pasture or doing our fall work, this is much different. This is "just riding", not really doing a job, per Se. It's a time that I can allow myself to just feel my horse underneath me, feel how she's moving, feel where her feet are when she's traveling. I had almost forgotten how great it is to "just ride." So I am grateful that I am making the time for myself to do it.

I read an article in a health magazine that said women have a tendency to nurture others and not take care of themselves properly. This article recommended taking time to spend with friends at, perhaps, a day spa. Well, I've never spent time at a day spa. But I think I would probably enjoy it. However, I have to say, I seriously doubt I could get any more enjoyment or therapeutic benefits from anything as I have this spring from "just riding" my little mares through the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment