Saturday, March 12, 2011

Morning Symphony

While checking the heifers this morning at sun up, I was struck by the Symphony of Nature in the Good Lord's Surround Sound that I was blessed to hear. While I'm sure I've heard it many times before, I was especially pleased to hear it today. It went something like this....

As I walked to the lot from the south I could hear the constant stomping of the prairie chickens to the north. Their background for the symphony is what I would call a low pitched sound like "ah-ooooh, ah-ooooh" with an occasional high pitched "he-HEE, he-HEEE, he-HEE" thrown in. An occasional chirp or twitter from little tree birds is thrown in at various times from all directions. From the west comes in a gobble from one of the seven tom turkeys that live behind Dad's barn, followed closely by a big round of gobbling from the other six. This seems to almost cue the coyotes to the northwest. Starting first as a distant howl from one dog and then the rest of the pack joining in almost as if trying to outdo each other with their yips and barks and a little howling. Then.....almost complete silence as if everything is counting their "rest" just like in a music score. After a few seconds, back comes in the prairie chickens "ah-OOOOH, ah-OOOOH" and so on.

Sometimes, it seems we are so busy with "life" that we fail to acknowledge all the wonderful things God has put on this earth for us to enjoy. Just like my morning symphony, which I have probably heard thousands of times, but never took the time to really listen and enjoy it until today. God wants us to be happy and while I realize it takes different things to please different kinds of people, I believe there is always something that we can take the time to enjoy and be blessed by if we choose..... A child's laugh, a dog wagging its' tail happily to greet us, the warmth of the sunshine on our face, the smell of the air after a rain..... Whatever of God's creations it might be that could bring you joy, try to take a few minutes and allow yourself to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment