Thursday, April 1, 2010

Nice Weather!

The weather this week has been particularly agreeable. I'm mighty glad to see it. Winter was tough on everybody. For the cows, that hard frozen ground caused a lot of sore feet. For me, that hard ground made driving over frozen gopher mounds particularly unappealing. Besides the fact that the cold weather requires a lot more feed just to maintain a cow. But the really cold weather, below zero, should be behind us now and we can look forward to the grass greening up and the leaves coming on the trees and flowers starting to bloom.

The cows have been having calves without any problems and we have had the opportunity to enjoy life a little. There are few things better than getting to ride a good horse out through the heavies (cows that have not had a calf yet) and look at all the new babies. Watching the week old calves running and bucking and chasing each other around is like watching kids on a playground....only much more enjoyable.... for me anyway.

I spent a little time fixing fence yesterday. Good diggin'. I didn't get too carried away, set 5 or 6 posts and stretched up a little wire. But when the ground has enough moisture in it to allow for easy digging, I don't mind that job at all.

There is a variety of critters, especially now that spring is upon us. Today I saw Sandhill cranes flying overhead on their migration to the north country and a mallard duck floating on the tank in the bull pasture this morning when I went up to feed. I don't know how many mule deer are out on our rye but I would venture to guess around 40. Antelope are often on the rye also. Wild turkeys that came last spring and left in the fall are back the last week or so too. Probably about 25 or so, hens and toms. Some sort of little blackbirds have found our squirrel feeders these last couple of days. And we have a few pheasants again this spring. They have been pretty sparse the last several years. Every morning when I check the heifers, I hear the prairie chickens stomping. When I was a kid, I used to think they sounded like witches laughing and carrying on. They are quite a site to watch, however. The males strut around and puff out their orange bulbous necks. They scratch and "stomp" and show off. Sometimes, they get so caught up in their stomping, they don't even realize no one is there to watch anymore and all the hens have flown away.

Of course, spring brings the skunks out of their nests, too. Not nearly as glad to see them as the aforementioned critters. Although, they are cute little buggers too. As long as they don't feel threatened, they won't spray and you can watch them bumble around. They like to eat cow afterbirth so I often see them in the heifer lot. Occasionally, a lot closer than I might like. I have seen them stand up to a dog for "cleanings" (afterbirth) and I have seen them drag the cleanings out of the calving shed if I haven't gotten it cleaned out. My dad says they have no enemies and I would guess that to be correct...with the exception of humans and a gun. I have not ever shot one, but have threatened to after my dogs got sprayed.

The weather guessers are calling for a cool down for the weekend and the possibility of some moisture. That wouldn't be all bad, I guess. It's April now. April showers bring May flowers...What do Mayflowers bring? Pilgrims, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment